Friday, June 6, 2008

"Finished" Basement




Finished is a strong word, but for $300.00 whad'ya want? I took a 19' x 12' space in my basement and made it into a family/play room. Sure, you can get into carpentry, but that's not my bag. It's amazing what paint can do. The walls I first cleaned with TSP then applied one coat of masonry paint (tinted light blue) with a heavy nap roller. Then I cleaned the floor and applied Rustoleum 2 part epoxy basement floor paint. It's been 3 years and both walls and floor have held up perfectly. The next problem was the ceiling and the one open wall. I have open rafters and first I tried painting the ceiling flat black. Too much work, so I purchased some painters drop cloths and several hundred thumb tacks. I stuck the fabric up on the ceiling and hung them from ceiling to floor on the open wall. When I require thumb joint replacement surgery I might develop second thoughts about the thumb tack method. I used velcro to fix the bottom and end of the wall to the floor and cement wall. I bought a rug and a room divider to hide my water meter and tubing, and moved the old sectional sofa down there. I found a 3 light track light at Home Depot for $20 and ran an extension cord. It's a very quiet space, cool in the summer, a great place to read. One thing in my favor was that I have a very dry basement. Like I said, it cost around $300 and has added much needed living space to my tiny house, and as an added bonus it acts as a repository for piles of laundry that come out of the dryer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you enjoy the clean laundry hanging out there, you could always fold it...you are a clever man, I'm sure you can figure that one out.